recent buzz... Added aerial photo coverage for all of McLennan County Texas in the year 1958. View of Baylor University
Topic Title         Getting a clear zoomable image for a large area.
2020-10-09 21:10:12 Dank Memes Hello, I am wondering how I could download an image of a large area without it becoming too pixelated as I zoom in. I realized tiles change as you zoom in, with 1 becoming 4 smaller ones, then 16, etc, which can be seen with the watermark becoming smaller. So basically a fixed area would have a resolution of 512x512, then 1024x1024, then 2048x2048, the more you zoom in. I can understand how this can be used for faster loading times, but I would appreciate having more detail in a large image. So the main thing I am wondering is if I am buying a high res jpeg, png, or geotiff, will it use those higher quality tiles that I get when I zoom in or will I download a lower quality image with the same tile code seen with regular viewing just upscaled to 1800p?
2020-10-12 13:02:27 Jeff

That's exactly why we offer the larger pixel downloads.  What you see in the viewer is the original image scan quality from the source.  If you are zooming out and selecting a larger area, the higher pixel downloads allow you to zoom in on the downloaded file, while maintaining the quality you see when zooming in on the viewer.  Each image is different and will vary from year to year and location to location.  However, general rule of thumb, for most of the imagery, if you're at the lower few zoom levels, stick to the 1800, pixel downloads.  When you are selecting enough area that you need to be in the middle couple zoom levels, 3600 pixels is usually sufficient, and at the higher zoom levels, you'll want 7200 pixels.  If you download something at the lower pixel count, but feel it was better when you zoomed in on the viewer, and think you should have downloaded more pixels, we can always credit your account for your original purchase, and you can pay the difference to upgrade your photo to the next pixel count. In that instance, you'll want to email support@historicaerials.com and let us know.  We can help with the process of upgrading.       

Please wait while we prepare your image

It appears that you have exhausted your credits for this month. That's ok, we'll spot you a few until your monthly subscription turns over. To get more credits before then, you might want to consider bumping your subscription to the next level. Otherwise, just wait until when you'll receive a new allotment for the month. If you still aren't satisfied, we would be happy to discuss your situation. Just call us during business hours at (xxx) xxx-xxxx.

Unfortunately you have spent your quota of credits for the month. To get more credits before then, you might want to consider bumping your subscription to the next level. Otherwise, just wait until when you'll receive a new allotment for the month. If you still aren't satisfied, we would be happy to discuss your situation. Just call us during business hours at (480) 967-6752.

As a subscriber you are allocated a set number of credits each month. By downloading imagery you will use one or more of your monthly credits.  Topo downloads are included with your subscription and will not be subtracted from your credit allocation.  To continue, simply click Ok, otherwise click Cancel.

Don't display this again